Helping Students Cope with Challenging Times
Students have shared that they find it valuable when faculty and staff check in and acknowledge when big events happen at MIT and in the world. When possible, they appreciate some time to discuss their feelings and reactions. We’ve compiled this page to help you facilitate these conversations with your students.
Tips and Resources
- Community Toolkit to Navigate Challenging Times
- Quick Advice for Talking to a Class After a Tragedy or a Loss
- Tips for Leading Productive Community Conversations (Including sample meeting agendas)
- Sample Communication Templates
- Addressing Difficult Events in the Classroom from MIT Teaching and Learning Lab
- Video Resources:
- Helping Students Cope with Loss – David Randall, Senior Associate Dean and Chief of Staff for Student Life, shares concrete steps and resources faculty can use to help students after a tragedy or loss in the community.
- Supporting Students Through an Election – David Randall, Senior Associate Dean and Chief of Staff for Student Life, discusses resources for faculty and staff to support students leading up to and following the 2020 election.